Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Aussies Invented Wireless

Who knew? The humble CSIRO, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, based in Australia, invented the technology behind all of the three billion wireless devices in use today back in the 1990's. And it has successfully defended this patent, winning another $220 million in royalties this week.

Look at these proud Aussies:
Growing up in Australia, I rode my bike past the local office of the CSIRO and one of my high school friends ended up working for them. They are a government-backed organization, similar to NOAA but with broader scope. Probably closer to the old Bell Labs but run by the government. Check out their website.

I left Australia, partly because I felt research being done there wasn't on the cutting edge. But every once in a while they pull out a coup like this and I'm proud to be an Aussie.

No comments:

Post a Comment