Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Any leaders running this government?

Watching last night's 'State of the Nation' speech and the Republican response I had one question. Where are the leaders in this government? First we had Obama spewing boring platitudes, then making crazy predictions like doubling exports by 2014 and giving 80% of Americans access to high speed rail.

Then we had some baby-faced Republican rebut his comments. I read the speech again just now and got what I heard the first time, 'Blah, blah, blah, we're going down the same road as Greece, Ireland, the United Kingdom.'
Here's the speech, see if you can find anything useful there:
Paul Ryan's rebuttal

As I looked around at the people in the Capitol, I didn't see anyone I'd like to see represent this nation. Even McCain has disappointed me. The kind of people I'd like to see run this country don't seem to want the job. One man who is my idea of a great leader just died this week. You might have read of Richard Winters in the book or watched him portrayed in the excellent series, "Band of Brothers."

Here is a link to his obituary:
Times Obituary Richard Winters

For more information, check out his Wikipedia entry:
Wikipedia entry: Richard Winters

Here's a man whose leadership was recognized by his men to the point that they rebelled against the leadership of their lousy commanding officer and risked their careers to have him replaced. Although Winters agreed with their assessment of Sobel's poor leadership, he had to grace to tell the world that: "he felt that at least part of Easy Company's success had been due to the training that Sobel had put them through and the way he had built the team."

His leadership in battle was so excellent that his techniques are still taught at West Point. With 35 men he routed a German force of 300. But he stood out mostly for his humility and quiet leadership that inspired men to follow him to their deaths if needed but victory as it turned out.

Why don't men like Dick Winters enter our government? They're probably as sick of it as I am.

2 comments:

  1. A great leader who died this week: For a second I thought you were going to talk about Jack LeLaine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Very good. I think up until his last day, Jack could have kicked the heinie of anyone in the House.

    ReplyDelete