Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sixty-third Excerpt from 'Twelve Towers'

          That night, Gwilym had an epiphany for his human resource problem. The next day, once the crew was working hard, he went back into the village and purchased some cheap, colored cloth and a pair of spring scissors.

          He set about cutting this cloth into many small squares, each about an inch square. Then he took some paper and lined it like they had yesterday with axes showing dates on the x axis and number of people on the y axis. Each week on the x-axis and each half person on the y axis was one inch long. He made one for each skill. Then he called Fred in.
          Gwilym explained his idea to Fred. “Each one of these colored squares indicates half a person of a particular skill working for a week.” He placed two on top of each other. “This represents a whole person working for a week. We place this on the chart and we can see what we need given the current schedule. Then, when we change the schedule, we move the pieces of cloth around to make sure we don’t overload our people.”
          Fred’s eyes grew wide as he understood, and the two men worked together, placing squares, adjusting the schedule, moving squares, sometimes cutting them further down to indicate a quarter person on even vertically to indicate someone working for a day or two rather than for a week. Within a few hours they were done. They had reached a point where the schedule could be met without stretching resources anywhere. There were a few occasions when they would have to bring on some extra laborers and other occasions when work off the critical path would have to sit until there was a lull in other activities. But their schedule was doable now and the men would have plenty of warning when they could take time off the project and work their fields.
          During dinner they stitched the cloth pieces to the paper. Then Fred redid the calendar and placed it on the wall where every member of the team could see it. As the crew left the job-site at the end of the day, Gwilym showed it to them. Each crew member followed their plan on the calendar and took note of the days they would be expected to leave the project.
          “How good are you at predicting de future, Gwilym?” asked Tollemache.
          “The schedule should be pretty accurate for the next few weeks. Then things will happen that will change the predictions but I will keep this calendar up-to-date. Keep checking back to see how things will change. If you have plans that cannot be changed due to your farm, it becomes my problem.”
          The men nodded and walked off home. “What do tha call this tool, Gwilym?”
“Resource planning. No. There will be other plans we need for resources like stone and wood. How about Human Resource Plan? Yes. I like that. Are you putting it in your book?”
          “Aye, Gwilym. The song was getting too hard to rhyme. Would you like to see it?”
Gwilym nodded and Fred showed him the book. He had a page in the front that titled all the tools and each page that followed described the tools in detail. So far, the title page had the following entries:
          Charter
          Stakeholder List
          Project Management Plan
          Requirements
          Scope
          Work Breakdown Structure
          Activities
          Activity Sequence
          Activity Resource
          Activity Duration
          Schedule
          Activity Costs
          Budget
          Human Resource Plan
          Gwilym smiled and shook his head. “Fourteen elements to planning a project! And I still think we’re missing some things. What else can you think of, Fred?”
          “It would be nice to plan th’bad things that seem to happen on every project, th’things that always seem to go wrong.”
          “I’m not sure if that’s possible, but it bears thinking about. What about the stakeholders? We identified them early and came up with a list of them. What are we going to do about them? How are we going to tell them about the project?”
          “I like these matrixes. Why don’t I create one for this, too.”
          Fred listed the stakeholders of this project on the x axis and the different communications on the y axis. Project plan, Calendar, Schedule, Budget. “What else, Gwilym?”
          “We should have regular meetings with the team to see how things are going. Call them Status Meetings. We should put out Progress Reports for people like Sir Kay to see. He’ll also want reporting on budget.”


Sir Kay
King Arthur
Euros
Mostyn.
Nantlais
Merlin
Tollemache
Project Team
Quarry
  Sawmill
Fred’s Project Notebook
 Project Plan
 I
 I




 I
 I
 I
 I
 W
 Charter
 I
 I




 I
 I


 W
 Status Reports






 W
 W
 W
 W
 W
 Status Meeting Minutes






 W
 W
 W
 W
 W
 Budget
 Q
 Q
 Q







 Q
 Calendar






 D
 D
 W
 W
 M
 Requirements
 I
 I

 I
 I
 I
 I
 I
 I
 I
 I
 Progress Reports
 Q





 W
 W


 W
 Issue/Problem Log
 Q





 W
 W


 W
 Contracts
 I

 I



 I

 I
 I
 I

























           
          Fred and Gwilym decided how often people would get information and placed notes at the intersection in the matrix. I for as issued, W for weekly, M for monthly, Q for Quarterly.
          Fred added the Communications Plan to his Project Management Plan book and Gwilym followed the plan for all their project information.

No comments:

Post a Comment