Dean Kamen has invented many wonderful things besides the Segway. His latest is a high-powered, efficient water purifier that he hopes to roll out all over poor parts of the world to relieve the diseases caused by contaminated water.
His company, DEKA , has teamed up with Coca-Cola to deliver thousands of EkoCenters. These solar-powered kiosks are placed on a concrete pad, hoooked up to the local water supply and provide the following services:
- Potable drinking water through the DEKA water purifiers.
- Free charging stations for cell-phones etc.
- Cold storage for vaccines
- Sell Coke products (Gotta get the next generation hooked, after all)
- Employment for those servicing it
- Entertainment for locals through the attached TV
Read more about it here.